Thursday, April 23, 2015

Significant progress

Almost a month ago, Landon had his Annual Review meeting, which is his yearly meeting to discuss progress/programs.  As I sat down at it, I was sort of annoyed, because his teachers were not there, but the support teacher was.  I kind of wanted someone who worked right with him to be there with me, for me.  As we began reviewing everything, I kept hearing the words, "significant progress."  Landon has made significant progress in this, in that, in everything.  Everything EXCEPT speech.  But still, progress is progress.  I sat there and they asked me what I thought, and all I could really say was "speech is everything to me.  Without speech, I don't know where he can go, what he can do. He has to develop speech."  Someone said sometimes he is stubborn and does not want to say something.  I immediately stood up for my son, and said, he wants to; he just can't.  I get very defensive about my baby.  I kept thinking what is significant progress to me, do I use those words at school with kids who are still functioning years behind, and maybe I do.  I do know that since starting this journey, I am very much more understanding and patient with my students, parents, stupid tests I have to give.  I have sat at meetings and said to a parent, "This number is really nothing, but I have to tell you xyz."  My favorite boy, Alejandro was nonverbal in K.  He is now speaking in long sentences.  He is still on the spectrum.  He is also a joy.  I would be so proud if he was my son.  I love him so much.  He is up for re-eval.  He won't do well on the testing because he doesn't always think in a standardized way; he just doesn't.  He also gets off topic all the time.  He still has made significant progress.  For me, I have been on this road and through this.  I had Landon signed up for a typical preschool, then maybe ok, maybe he will need teacher services, ok he is going to a special needs prechool, finally, for next year, he will have a 1:1 aide.  It is a process.  Maybe I have made significant progress in accepting this, but it does not feel like it. Significant progress for me is no more IEP. That is too lofty of a goal.  I just want him to talk.  I could care less about anything else. 
So that is that, significant progress.  I am proud of him, and hopefully the next big progress is speech.  Iep finalized. Summer school starts July 6 and he is going all day next year to preschool. He will be exhausted.  At these meetings and in dealing with teachers, etc, best thing to remember is: You are the expert on your child.  I know Landon more than anyone, and no one will tell me differently.  He has made nice progress and he is capable of so much.  Nobody better sell him short.

No comments:

Post a Comment