Monday, November 10, 2014

Do you know an adult who doesn't speak?

I don't.

I think about that a lot, too.  Can you tell I am a huge thinker?  I will be at a restaurant, or the mall, or somewhere, and I look for someone who can't talk, or I scan the crowd making sure each person can speak.  It's weird, I know.  My mind is so wrapped up in the what ifs, the worst case? Sometimes I have to remember my Landon does have some word and does have a decent variety of consonants {m, n, p, b, t, d, w, g, h} and Logan can now use {m, n, b, and w}.  Vowels are tougher for  both of my boys.  Anyways, someone once asked me, what's the worst case?  I said they speak by computer (AAC), and she said "well, there it is, you have a plan." I was shocked.  Ok, ok, so that's my plan?!? if nothing else, they will speak to me by computer. It was jarring plan to look at a 1 or 2 year old and think that.

Even if my school now, we have 3-4 kids with apraxia (one completely resolved with auditory processing now) and we have maybe 10 kids with Autism.  They all speak.  The most severe one is 5 and have maybe 20 words, but all are prompted, and he is severely on the spectrum.  He is often naked and should be in another placement, but I work with him too, and I think wow this child, if I remove xyz from him and ask him to ask for it, he can. Amazing.  He doesn't  have the motivation as much,  unless it's for candy.  Where is this post going?  Basically, just trying to show the mind of a mom and an SLP.  I am doing and around speech ALL DAY!! It is exhausting.  I compare my kids at school to my own kids.

So, do you know any adults who don't speak at all, and if so, why?

No comments:

Post a Comment