Wednesday, May 27, 2015

I am in so far over my head

I was talking to my friend Nicole last night. She is an SLP also going through life with a special needs child.   We were discussing how much we do:  choose and program the AAC device, make core word lists, make picture books for our children to communicate, constantly email, keep track of everything, and we are exhausted.  Lucky for me, I get to go to work everyday, but she is home.  I often think about all the other parents out there who want to do the right thing, but are not trained; I have no idea how they make it.  I am in so far over my head and I am an SLP.  I have no idea what I am doing usually. I love language and fluency disorders- that is my expertise.  I am bilingual.  I totally disliked any of my artic, AAC, or motor speech classes, and yet, here I am.  I work with kids who do not have anyone working with them at home, and they do move.  My son has everything ever in the world, and he is stuck. To say I am overwhelmed is an understatement.  I need to make another communication books and order more pictures of food, people, etc, and yet I have not even ordered Logan's newborn pics to hang up and have not worked on a baby book since I started this process.  The world has stood still. There days I think things will be ok, they will get better, and there are days I think this is my life for the rest of it, and I will never make it. I am just going on.  Landon is not sleeping enough, so he is hitting more when he is so exhausted.  I take all his toys out, put him to bed early, have black out curtains, etc, and I am not sure what else to do.  I am just lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment