Wednesday, July 16, 2014

neurotypical kids

Whatever normal is what that term, NT kids, means.  There is no normal, but society does think so and judges accordingly.  i was judged last week, when I brought landon to the chiropractor with me and we ran into his old OT.  She was asking how he was doing, and Landon was playing with a truck from my bag, and the OT later called me to say the doctor had been questioning her, wondering why he doesn't talk, is he on the spectrum, "what's wrong with him?"  I was shocked, very hurt, and sad.  Why can't we just not judge on the first thing we see?  I had a talk with him on Monday when I went, and turns out, he had never heard of apraxia.  So I did a little educating.  I am sure Landon will continue to be judged, but i am hopeful, loved for who he is.



So, anways, my friend, Maureen, has a son with Autism.  I had never met him until a few weeks ago.  He is 5.  I could tell he was ASD immediately, but i was so so so impressed.  He was having functional communication/conversation with me, was following directions, eventually went swimming in our pool, etc.  Maureen is an amazing mom and he has done so well.  his voice seems more mature and he did use some echolalia, but he is headed to mainstream K with pull out support.  I asked her about landon and she said she sees severe apraxia. Oh, my friend, Maureen is an amazing, I mean, AMAZING, slp.  She said Gabriel did not point to anything until after 3. He could not do stairs holding the railing until then. He never showed them anything, etc, stuff landon did just after 12 months.  She thinks he needs better SLPs, and I do agree in many ways, but she was so impressed with how hard he tries to speak and tries to communicate.

We discussed NT kids.  Sorry for all you who read this who have them. I said I honestly picture a lot of those kids addicted to meth, or maybe they skip too many classes and don't get their diploma, or they get pregnant at 16, whatever.  Their life won't go as planned either.  We had a good laugh.  A few summers ago I worked with a boy named Alex. he has ASD and he would tell you so.  We are fb friends now.  he is probably 24 now. he is finishing his doctorate.  He is quirky and maybe doesn't have a ton of friends, but he is successfully and very smart.  I read into a teacher friend the other day. her son is 22, doesn't even have his associates yet, back living at home, and we said, wow, alex is doing better professionally wise than her son, who had no difficulties.  Interesting.  There is no guarantee for anyone.  You take what is handed and do the best you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment